Thursday, September 17, 2009

Postmodern


I chose this image for my postmodern example. I do not know who created it, but I do know that I found it on Diventart.com and looked for it again and could not find the creator.
Basically I think this work of art is postmodern because it uses different styles and mediums to create a whole new image. The image also has a very weird spin to it because the artists is using eggs and drawing faces on them creating and using objects and materials not commonly associated with traditional artwork. The artists is also taking a very common thing and using it in the artwork, and just changing it to make the piece. I think this might be classified as "low-brow" art because it is a very basic idea and doesn't use traditional art techniques that much.
Postmodernism is still a confusing term to me and I hope that I get it somewhat right and that this works well.

3 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH. I love the person who does these! She has made a ton of different ones. Lol.
    Anyways, I think you got the concept, but part of me also thinks that you're talking more about modern art (even though the piece is more postmodern). I don't know. I'm still a little foggy on the definitions . . .
    Even so, great picture choice! [:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, that this work would be classified as postmodern - it is kitschy (low-brow) and humorous, and not particularly interested in formal issues. The innovative use of non-traditional materials is not inherently postmodern, as many modernists did experiment with materials. As we discussed, the distinction can be tough to grasp, especially as there are hazy borders between the two terms. The humor of this piece, too, seems to make it more postmodern than modern, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, are you saying that this would be more modern then postmodern?

    ReplyDelete