Saturday, September 26, 2009

Finding your "head"

So, This is late but I am going to do it anyway... =]

The assignment was to create an installation piece from pieces of artwork that we found at the MIA and arrange them in a way that was interesting or caused the viewer to react and cause questions to form in their heads. Well I came up with an idea and its very simple but I think it would be interesting.

The objects that I chose were.
Roxanne Jackson's: Hoodie
Roxanne Jackson's: Becoming
Head of a Votary from the Temple of Golgoi
Head of Bearded Man
Striding Male Figure

My idea was to place the Striding Male Figure in the center of the room and have a light coming down on the figure. Then around the figure I would place all of the heads with their own individual lights on each of them. That would be basically it, very simple. What I was hooping to try and get across was how people try and figure out who they are, or who they're going to be and by placing each of the heads around the body figure that would be like someone trying to figure which head do I put on like when we decide what cloths to wear each morning. I wish they heads were a little more varied, but I think they each show a different thing. It also could be saying that people put on different faces or "heads" to either hide things or if they need to be a certain way and they're really not that way but they have to put on this "head."
Its a pretty interesting concept to me and it's always hard to get what im trying to say across in writing, but I hope you can kind of see what I was trying to do and if not then comment me and we can discuss it.

5 comments:

  1. This is in reply for your comment you left on my page :)The Harmony is written on stained glass. its just hard to see with the picture i took. :) you can get an image on you header by going to costomize and then there will be a screen with your basic layout for your blog. there is a box called header. just click on that and there will be a option to put a picture in it. :) Let me know if you arent able to get it :) by the way awsome set up!!! i really like what its trying to say! NEAT-O!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chandra for explaining that.

    neat-o =] haha thank you. I thought it would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea. I can see how the headless figure and group of heads might get across your idea. I find myself wondering what might enhance the concept. For instance, what if the heads were all laid out on a dresser in front of a mirror the figure was facing? Would that enhance the concept of the choices and masks we wear, etc? As you say, the selection of heads feels slightly limited. I imagine you could find even more head choices in the MIA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps: always better late than never! Thanks for taking care of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great idea. I think that really would help enhance the concept. And the selection was limited, I pulled most the images off the site and I didn't want to spend forever looking for heads. I think a better variety of heads would help too.
    You're welcome. I know, thats why I did it. I'd rather get partial points then none at all.

    ReplyDelete